Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

Kidnapped Bulgarian sailors in Yemen are alive and well, they are kept on land

Satellite image of Galaxy Leader
Photo: AP/BTA

The Bulgarian sailors kidnapped by Yemen’s Houthis are not on board the "Galaxy Leader" anymore. This was what Ahmed Shamar, Charge d'Affairs of the Yemeni Embassy in Sofia, has told "Nova TV". Now the ship has been turned by the Houthis into a tourist attraction.

"Galaxy Leader" was hijacked 2 months ago. Since then, rebels have attacked 36 merchant ships off the coast of Yemen in a show of support for the Palestinians. The diplomat did not predict when and in exchange for what the Bulgarians would be able to return to their country. "We have the same information as the Bulgarian authorities that the sailors are fine, that they are treated well and there is no danger for their lives. But we don't know exactly where they are kept. According to me, the solution can be sought in serious and effective EU pressure on the Houthis. There is no other way," the Yemeni diplomat said.



Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

A warning for dangerous rainfall has been issued for 12 regions in Southern Bulgaria

On Friday, the lowest temperatures will be between 4°C and 9°C, reaching up to 12°C in the southeast, around 6°C in Sofia . During the next 24 hours, the weather will remain cloudy. It will rain in almost the entire country. During the day, rainfall..

published on 11/27/25 6:45 PM

Varna mayor Blagomir Kotsev released pending trial on €102,258 bond

The Varna District Court has released the city’s mayor, Blagomir Kotsev, on a financial bond of €102,258. Before the court’s decision was announced, supporters of the mayor and members of the We Continue the Change party gathered outside the..

published on 11/27/25 5:37 PM

Three detained and five police officers injured at last night's protest in Sofia

Three people, including an Italian citizen, were arrested during last night's protest against the adoption of the 2026 budget in front of the National Assembly, the director of the Sofia Directorate of Internal Affairs, Chief Commissioner Lyubomir..

published on 11/27/25 3:50 PM