Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

Government allocates €7.7 million to Sofia public transport in response to workers' protest

Photo: BTA/ Archive

The government has agreed to provide an additional €7.7 million in subsidies for Sofia's public transport. This was agreed at a meeting today between Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov and union leaders, according to BNR reporter Tsvetelina Stoyanova. Mayor Vasil Terziev did not attend the meeting. It will become clear this evening whether the civil disobedience of workers in the capital's public transport system will be called off.

The protest by public transport workers, who are demanding a significant pay rise, began on 14 May with a blockade of depots from which buses, trolleybuses and trams depart. It then escalated into civil disobedience. Only the metro and a few lines operated by a private company, mainly serving the outskirts of Sofia and nearby villages, have been running since then.


Editor: Miglena Ivanova
Published and translated by E. Radkova



Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

State-owned enterprises to combat corruption through a compliance officer

The National Assembly has introduced a new requirement for state-owned enterprises to implement corruption risk management systems, which will also include appointing an integrity officer. The measure is recommended by the Organisation for Economic..

published on 11/27/25 1:30 PM

Budget 2026 is being frozen, GERB are ready to rule with the old budget

GERB leader Boyko Borissov said that he did not like budget 2026 and it would be frozen. Speaking to the media in parliament, Borissov said that the Joint Governance Council of the formations in the government, the Prime Minister..

published on 11/27/25 11:18 AM
Hristijan Mickoski

North Macedonian Prime Minister mocks attacked Macedonian Bulgarian Vladimir Perev

North Macedonian Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski accused attacked Macedonian Bulgarian journalist Vladimir Perev of staging the attack and self-harm, BGNES has reported. On November 21, in a shop in the center of Skopje, Perev..

published on 11/27/25 8:55 AM